Filippo Ganna dominated the stage 14 individual time trial at the Giro d’Italia, beating team-mate Rohan Dennis by 26 seconds to take his third and Ineos’ fourth stage victory of this Italian Grand Tour.
The Italian world time trial champion looked peerless in the race against the clock, as UAE Team Emirates’ Brandon McNulty moved up to fourth on GC with a strong third-place finish on the stage, 1-09 down on Ganna.
João Almeida (Deceuninck – Quick-Step) extended his race lead with a sixth-place finish, 1-31 down, taking 16 seconds out of the man behind him in the overall classification, Wilco Kelderman (Sunweb), who came ninth on the day.
As for the other GC contenders, Rafal Majka (Bora-Hansgrohe) had a better time than in the opening day’s race against the clock, finishing 50 seconds slower than Kelderman. Pello Bilbao (Bahrain-McLaren) and Vincenzo Nibali (Trek-Segafredo) were 16 and 17 seconds further back respectively, soon followed by Domenico Pozzovivo (NTT) and then Jakob Fuglsang (Astana).
Almeida extends his lead over Kelderman to 56 seconds, then Pello Bilbao in third, 2-11 back, with Brandon McNulty (UAE Team Emirates) up to fourth. The young American, Nibali, Majka and Pozzovivo all now within 20 seconds of the podium.
More to follow…
Giro d’Italia 2020, stage 14: Conegliano to Valdobbiadene (34.1km – ITT)
1. Filippo Ganna (Ita) Ineos Grenadiers, in 42-40
2. Rohan Dennis (Aus) Ineos Grenadiers, at 26 seconds
3. Brandon McNulty (USA) UAE Team Emirates, at 1-09
4. Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto-Soudal, at 1-11
5. Josef Černy (Cze) CCC, at 1-16
6. João Almeida (Por) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, at 1-31
7. Tanel Kangert (Est) EF Pro Cycling, at 1-33
8. Jonathan Castroviejo (Esp) Ineos Grenadiers, at 1-44
9. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Sunweb, at 1-47
10. Jan Tratnik (Slo) Bahrain-McLaren, at 2-00